Skip to main content

Welcome to my Sonex Blog!





My name Is Isaac Shultz. I am a student pilot, who is eager to share the experience of flying with others.
 I believe the best way to go about that is buying an airplane of my own to fly young eagles in. Even though it may seem crazy, unreal, or just downright undoable; I am going to try something few teens would dare attempt. I want to build an airplane. Why am I even thinking about it now as a mere 14 year old? Well , because I am uniquely situated where I can realistically complete a kitplane such as a sonex before I'm off to college.



While other kids where being passed around from grandparent to aunt to other grandparent, I was flying. My first flight was when i was a mere 10 days old! I hope I thoroughly enjoyed myself!  As a toddler I played in the garage with wood scraps while my dad worked on his first homebuilt, a Minimax. When I was 6 my dad began a new kit, a Sonex it had lots of sharp metal pieces and I had to be very careful. but I still got my fair share of messing about in the form of clecoing scraps of aluminum together with all my might. Then the Sonex crashed and the second Sonex came. Again I played in the Garage, but this time I was older old enough to start building! I designed(with help) an aluminum boat for my lego guys to ride in. During that project I used the bandsaw, dill press, grinding wheel, Hole de-burr-er, rivet gun ,and more! Finally when I was 11 I got some stick time in our challenger II, and began my informal flight training. In less than 2 years I was making excellent landings, and flying to several airports around the local area. Now at the age of 14 I have a major (22hr) cross country under my belt, and am learning how to fly a Sonex.



While driving home from one of the monthly meeting of our local EAA chapter dad asked me if I wanted to go to the upcoming young eagles rally.” yes” I responded and I soon found myself riding in the Sonex to the rally. When we arrived I took a position on the ground and that day we flew over 100 young eagles! It was the that I realized ho much I wanted to be a pilot flying children who had never before flown in my own airplane. I wanted to see the smile spread across their faces as our wheels lift off the ground. I wanted to hear them oogle about how we were flying in the air, like birds.  I realized that there would be so much for me to return to the community if I only had my own airplane.



One day A Sonex kit listing came to my attention, and I shot the seller an E-mail with an offer, and ,to my surprise, she responded! I thought back to the day at the young eagles rally and realized that this was my opportunity to give back to aviation. The was a way to make my dream come true. My mind immediately stared racing, how could I raise the money for such a huge undertaking? I was already mowing lawns selling random things, and doing chores around the house. I concluded that I would need help, your help, to raise enough. Please help me make my vision come to pass, by donating to this project you will be helping to pass the torch of aviation to the next generation. by helping me you are securing the future of corncob bombing runs, spot landing contests, EAA BBQs , and fun flying everywhere       

              https://www.gofundme.com/isaacs-sonex-project-2uvexs38






The purpose of this blog is to document and share my experience of building and later flying an airplane. In the first portion, I will thank all the wonderful people who donated to me. Then in the second section I will post a building update, hopefully every 3-4 days ,explaining what I have done  in detail and with pictures. Finally in the third and last section, I will post my flying adventures, and any maintenance I do. Thank you or your support and interest, I am pumped about this whole project.

Popular posts from this blog

Plane Painted

When I flew my plane to OSH23, I saw an artist painting a small depiction of an airplane. She was painting a very small photorealistic scene from a phone image. I could not believe how detailed she was able to make it! She let me watch over he shoulder as she worked. I was so impressed that I commisisoned a similar painting of my sonex. Id like to share that painting with you all. Her name is Rhonda DeGarmo. She has a lot of other work. If you're interested in getting in touch with her please reach out to me and I will pass along her information.

Build Update April 5 2018: Dissasembling the Aerovee

The engine I bought was already built, and had not been run. My dad and I planned to take it all apart to give me a better understanding of the engine, as well as to identify any problems before they got bad. The Arovee engine was heavy and awkward to move. at the time it was sitting on the workbench with everything installed. Going into this I had only enough sense to tell you which cylinder is the #1, 2, 3, and 4, and I knew some of the terminology, such as crackshaft. I frequently asked my dad "what do you call that part?"  we began unbolting stuff in roughly reverse order from the manual (if you're familiar with sonex plans, you're used to backwards) In under an hour we had stripped many of the external parts off and the engine had lost at least 20 pounds! A box was designated as the hardware box, so it'll be like legos trying to find the right bolts and nuts again when I reassemble it. the important part is that they're all together and no

2016 Kansas City Turkey Shoot Report

This Thanksgiving my family went to Kansas City to visit friends and family. Well, when you have two or more old aviation buddies in the same city, you tend to form a bit of a gathering. Thus the 2016 KC Turkey Shoot was created. It involved 3 Sonex , and a beautiful Cessna. And consisted of a flight from a Gardner Airport to We-B-Smoking BBQ at Miami County Airport. I Flew down with Bob Mika's in Katie, his Sonex, while my dad and two friends ,Zander and Laney ,flew in Mr Ron's smooth Cessna. I even got to fly for about 10 min! It may not have been hours, but  the Aerovee-powered plane flew wonderfully in the  morning air. Once we arrived, my nose was overrun by the luxurious scent of pancakes, and when I surveyed the room, I saw countless airplane pictures. (I lost the photo, Y'all will just have to go) http://www.websmokin.com/  Sitting down to eat at a table that seemed average, we awaited the rest of our troops.