Skip to main content

Build Update: Riveting the Right Wing August 18 2017


Saturday started early, I woke up brushed my teeth, washed my face, and the like. I looked at my clock 0657. "Perfect timing." At 0700 my dad and I were pulling out of the driveway, off to fly at the airport. When we arrived at the airport the low clouds still had not burned off. They were only at about 700'. A check of the weather revealed that they were supposed to lift to 2,000' soon. We pulled out the Sonex to fly. Even before dad turned crosswind, we both knew that this was not going to work. The clouds, though thin from the surface, made a nearly impenetrable layer sitting right at 500'. Dad quickly flew the rest of the pattern and in no more than 2 minutes, we were on the ground, rolling out from landing. I was faced with a choice, advocate to stay and wait for the clouds to raise, or go home and build. Since this is a build update rather than a flying story, I think you can guess what I chose.




  The task layed out for Saturday was to De-burr the wing skins. After my experience with the ribs, I concluded that this would take a fair bit of time, but not an unreasonable sum. Boy was I wrong. I played a podcast with my Ipod and set in for the inevitable grind.

I used a scotch brite pad, contraption chucked into the electric drill driver to rapidly de-burr each hole in seconds. With this technology at my side, the process lasted only 2 podcast episodes! For both skins! Before I was able to de-burr I had to make sure the skin was clear of any metal pieces that could make deep scratches.


 



 Once the skins were completely deburred (400+ holes!), I cleaned them using Lacquer Thinner on a paper towel. This step is crucial as it removes the corrosive oils from fingerprints and sweat.






We were making such good time that we went to Domino's for Pizza and went to the RC flying field to fly a few batteries.


The leading edge skin was similar to the aft skins, but with one important difference, It was not flat but bent. Aside from some awkward maneuvering, the process was the same. Clean the surface, de-burr the holes, Clean with lacquer thinner. And before I knew it, my dad and I had blown through all of the skins! I figured, might as well dimple the leading edge skin, the day is still young. My dad and I tag teamed the leading edge skin's dimpling job. He was on one side inserting the nail, which held one side of the dimple die. I was on the other with the hand squeezer and the other side of the dimple die. It was slow going at first, but soon enough there remained only 6 lines of holes, then 5, then 2, then 1, then I was done.











After a plans review, I concluded that the next step was to square the wings, and cleco the aft skins on. When clecoing on the aft skin I started in the middle, and spread outward in a wave. This assured that the skin was on square.





The aft skins fit like a glove. The leading edge skin wraps around the nose of the ribs, making a tight fit crucial. After one side of the leading edge skin was affixed securely via clecos, we had to bend it down to the other side. To avoid kinking the skin, it has to be moved as one, and while one could attempt to hold it down everywhere, the best way is simply to use ratchet straps evenly spaced to slowly lower it down.

Using Magic to bend down the leading edge skin does not work quite as well as the ratchet strap method.


With all the skins clecoed, and nothing remaining to do inside the wing, I prepared to rivet. The sonex's wing uses 3 types of pulled rivets. Flush rivets for the leading edge skin, normal dome head rivets for the aft skins, and extra long domed head rivets on the spar cap. I double checked what goes where and my dad placed rivets in the holes, while I pulled them with my brand new rivet gun.


When it came time for the leading edge skins to be riveted, I found that the holes were just slightly undersized and the rivets did not go in. The solution? ream the hole with the #30 drill bit which corresponds to a 1/8' rivet. Along the way my friend Cill, arrived and helped out by putting rivets in the holes right after I reamed the holes. And while I riveted, she pulled clecos.






One of these rivets does not match.

Luckily it's on the underside of the wing, so it is hardly noticeable.



Armed with a builder's checklist, the plans, and some tools, one can get a lot done in only a day.
With the wings riveted, I'm ready to fly! On the The fuselage!




Thank you so much to everyone who allowed me to childishly pretend to fly while standing between my wings! Sooner than I know it I will be sitting between these same wings.

Mr John
Paul Shadwick
Stan Whitfield
Ron Sipple
Ralph and Joyce Shultz
Paul and Beth Duff
Paul Hockin
Nicholette Shultz
Gordon Fern
Anon Anon 
Jeannette Shultz
Mike David
Jonathan and Julia Wolfe
Jon Palmstrom

Laurie Burns

Donna Mickel
Dana Baker
Mrs Nadine
Eric Johnson
Tammy Reap Hayes
Jeff Shultz
Brandon Lenart
WP Marsh
Michael Couillard
Mr Anonymous
Joe And Judy Green
Mrs Brenda
Mrs Cathy
Paul and Vickie Laberge
Judy and Roger Kemmerle


The purpose of this blog is to document and share my experience of building and later flying an airplane. In the first portion, I will thank all the wonderful people who donated to me. Then in the second section I will post a building update, hopefully every 3-4 days ,explaining what I have done  in detail and with pictures. Finally in the third and last section, I will post my flying adventures, and any maintenance I do. Thank you or your support and interest, I am pumped to be executing this project.




Popular posts from this blog

Plane Painted

When I flew my plane to OSH23, I saw an artist painting a small depiction of an airplane. She was painting a very small photorealistic scene from a phone image. I could not believe how detailed she was able to make it! She let me watch over he shoulder as she worked. I was so impressed that I commisisoned a similar painting of my sonex. Id like to share that painting with you all. Her name is Rhonda DeGarmo. She has a lot of other work. If you're interested in getting in touch with her please reach out to me and I will pass along her information.

Build Update April 5 2018: Dissasembling the Aerovee

The engine I bought was already built, and had not been run. My dad and I planned to take it all apart to give me a better understanding of the engine, as well as to identify any problems before they got bad. The Arovee engine was heavy and awkward to move. at the time it was sitting on the workbench with everything installed. Going into this I had only enough sense to tell you which cylinder is the #1, 2, 3, and 4, and I knew some of the terminology, such as crackshaft. I frequently asked my dad "what do you call that part?"  we began unbolting stuff in roughly reverse order from the manual (if you're familiar with sonex plans, you're used to backwards) In under an hour we had stripped many of the external parts off and the engine had lost at least 20 pounds! A box was designated as the hardware box, so it'll be like legos trying to find the right bolts and nuts again when I reassemble it. the important part is that they're all together and no

2016 Kansas City Turkey Shoot Report

This Thanksgiving my family went to Kansas City to visit friends and family. Well, when you have two or more old aviation buddies in the same city, you tend to form a bit of a gathering. Thus the 2016 KC Turkey Shoot was created. It involved 3 Sonex , and a beautiful Cessna. And consisted of a flight from a Gardner Airport to We-B-Smoking BBQ at Miami County Airport. I Flew down with Bob Mika's in Katie, his Sonex, while my dad and two friends ,Zander and Laney ,flew in Mr Ron's smooth Cessna. I even got to fly for about 10 min! It may not have been hours, but  the Aerovee-powered plane flew wonderfully in the  morning air. Once we arrived, my nose was overrun by the luxurious scent of pancakes, and when I surveyed the room, I saw countless airplane pictures. (I lost the photo, Y'all will just have to go) http://www.websmokin.com/  Sitting down to eat at a table that seemed average, we awaited the rest of our troops.