Skip to main content

Build update: Reassembling the Aerovee Part 2 May 2018


This time I got plenty of pictures.

With the case halves joined and each throughbolt torqued according the manual I moved on to preparing my new cylinders.




The cylinders and pistons got cleaned with laquer thinner, then oiled and then assembled together.

I used a specially measured shim places at the base of the cylinder to change how much space there is between the piston and cylinder head, which changes how the engine will run.

The shim goes on first, liberally gooped up with sealent, then slowly lower the cylinder on and connect it up







Then one it's on I turned the crankshaft to help pull the cylinder down, seat it with a few taps of a rubber mallet and done.








Repeat with the other cylinder and we are good to go.

Next goes the gasket, then the pushrod tubes, the head, aaaaand torque it!
      

Perfect! Now it's looking like an engine again.


Repeat on the other side







After careful measuring and lots of test fitting, the rocker arms fit great.


With the rocker arms just right, it was time to match the new pushrods I had bought to the rocker arm geometry, I used a special pushrod tool to find the exact length of an ideal pushrod, then cut my pushrods to the ideal length.






I marked the first one I cut as the master template with some blue painters tape. This way each new pushrod matches the master, not just some random pushrod I'd already cut. This reduces the chances of variation in the length.
After they were cut, I cleaned up the edge on the sanding wheel and measured against my master template to be sure they were precise.




Once all the pushrods were cut I ran hot water through them to clean out all the dust and shavings, and as soon as water touched the steel pushrods the timer had started and they began oxidizing. I liberally oiled every surface of the pushrods, and now it was time to insert the end piece into each pushrod. It's a very tight fit, so I needed to expand the tube, and shrink the end piece by heating and chilling respectively.






I torched each pushrod and immediately rammed the tip in, and they are good to go, I installed them in the pushrod tubes and they fit fantastically






Checking that the fit is whithin specs

Perfect, time to add the rocker arm covers






Now it's just a matter of installing all the small bits and pieces 



Oil pump!






Flywheel seal!




Block off plates!



I added the flywheel, exhaust and intake tubes, alternator, and mount but didn't get pictures of it.






Thanks so much to everyone who has helped me out, I cant wait to hear the engine spin up!

Popular posts from this blog

Build Update: The Turtledeck November 2017

First off, what is a turtledeck? The answer is obvious at first, it is a wood platform on the back of the house, with a bunch of turtles sitting on it, right?



Or maybe it is what you call the deck of a cruise ship that is for turtle pleasure?





Well actually it is the round part of the plane behind the cockpit, that leads into the tail, as seen in this beautiful Sonex.


So, now that we know what a turtledeck is, I can get into how I built one!. Like everything, It started with a plans review. The turtledeck skin was made of 2 smaller skins (a left and right) and a central spine of a stiffening C-Channel. The skin then is curved to make it rounded, pretty, and aerodynamic.


I then prepared all the parts. The turtledeck formers were up to the plate first, they look like this:




I made sure that they had no stress rising scratches. (rule of thumb is that if you can catch a fingernail in the scratch, then it is too deep and must be buffed out.) Aside from that I checked them against the plans …

Build Update April 5 2018: Dissasembling the Aerovee

The engine I bought was already built, and had not been run. My dad and I planned to take it all apart to give me a better understanding of the engine, as well as to identify any problems before they got bad.

The Arovee engine was heavy and awkward to move. at the time it was sitting on the workbench with everything installed.

Going into this I had only enough sense to tell you which cylinder is the #1, 2, 3, and 4, and I knew some of the terminology, such as crackshaft. I frequently asked my dad "what do you call that part?"  we began unbolting stuff in roughly reverse order from the manual (if you're familiar with sonex plans, you're used to backwards) In under an hour we had stripped many of the external parts off and the engine had lost at least 20 pounds! A box was designated as the hardware box, so it'll be like legos trying to find the right bolts and nuts again when I reassemble it. the important part is that they're all together and not lost. After…

Isaac's Flying Stories Ep 7: The 2018 Midwest Sonex Fly in!

This Year's Midwest Sonex Fly in was a smashing success, great weather, fantastic food, and 30+ Sonex Builders and Pilots showed up!

My dad and I flew in from our home airport in Mississippi. The flight to Fayetteville only took about 3 hours, with a fuel stop meaning we rolled in just in time for lunch. We signed in and got our raffle tickets for the door prizes. This year there were Sonex T-shirts, 2' sensenich propeller clocks, a 50% off a Sport EX EFIS from GRT avionics certificate, and a certificate for a free elliptical Prince Prop. After catching up with old friends over tacos and brownies, we began the raffle. It was tense as the higher and higher prizes were awarded. One woman won a T-shirt but no one wanted to ask her size for fear of offending her! After the drawing there was a line of storms moving in so we took one final group picture and those who were flying southeast (away from the storm) took off. My dad and I rolled the plane into a hanger and sat back in t…